Most popular new Netflix movies released in 2021
It’s time to look back on 2021 and see which films topped Netflix’s top 10 throughout the year. Below, we’ll show you the most successful movies on Netflix around the world by earning the most points in the top 10.
The data comes from FlixPatrol which collects the top 10 data from around the world and then compiles the numbers to create the best lists. If a movie is number 1 in the Netflix top 10, 10 points are awarded to it.
Now, this data, while useful, is not perfect. For example, FlixPatrol always adds new regions, which adds many new points to the pool. The top 10s also don’t give us an overall idea of volume for a given day or month. For example, the unforgivable racked up more streaming hours in its first 28 days, but didn’t stay in the top 10 as long as army of the dead.
Additionally, measuring the top 10 in the world often gives Netflix Original movies advantages, as they are available worldwide and licensed movies may only go to a handful of regions and therefore fail to register.
Netflix itself has started releasing hourly data, but alas, that doesn’t give us a full year, so we can’t give an accurate picture below.
We have also compiled a list of the most popular Spanish shows of 2021 and Korean shows with more lists going on.
With that preamble out of the way, let’s dive into the most popular movies on Netflix around the world in 2021.
Top 5 Netflix movies in 2021 according to the Top 10
Note: Data correct as of December 29.
1. Red Notice
Number of points: 25,588
With the cast headlined by Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson and Gal Gadot, it should come as no surprise that red notice pulled in the numbers for Netflix. Not only did he exceed bird box having the most hours watched on Netflix (364 million in the first 28 days vs. 282 million), it also performed well in the Netflix top 10, still racking up points over 46 days after its initial release.
2. We can be heroes
Number of points: 25,311
Release end of 2020, We can be heroes was incredibly sticky in the top 10, especially at the beginning of 2021. The children’s movie has now been in the top 10 movies for more than 214 days in the top 10 of the respective countries.
As we’ve seen with titles like CoComelon, a good children’s title can be revisited over and over again and that was definitely the case for We can be heroes.
3. army of the dead
Number of points: 18,888
One of two Zack Snyder films released by Netflix in 2021, both existing in the new zombie universe that debuted in July with the blockbuster, army of the dead.
The film now ranks as the tenth most popular film on Netflix in the first 28 days, racking up 186.54 million viewing hours.
4. Wish Dragon
Number of points: 16,953
One of three Sony animated mics made by Netflix in 2021 was Wish Dragon, the delightful animated title directed by Chris Appelhans. The film lingered in the top 10 for almost 100 days around the world, managing to beat The Mitchells vs. the Machines and Long live.
5. army of thieves
Number of points: 15,081
The second Zack Snyder-produced film of 2021 managed to climb to position 5 after its debut towards the end of October. What’s interesting is that Army of Thieves averaged 290 points per day in the top 10 compared to army of the deads 205 suggesting that there was a large audience around the start of the film’s life on the service.
Top 50 Full Movies in Netflix’s Top 10 for 2021
- Red notice (25588 points)
- We can be heroes (25311 points)
- Army of the Dead (18888 points)
- Wish Dragon (16953 points)
- Army of Thieves (15081 points)
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines (14,902 points)
- Paternity (14660 points)
- The Guilty (12930 points)
- Yes day (12809 points)
- The Unforgivable (12635 points)
- Tough love (11782 points)
- Off the Line (11661 points)
- Love and Monsters (11582 points)
- Kate (11224 points)
- Cheers (11037 points)
- Minions (10972 points)
- He is all that (10222 points)
- Sweet girl (10051 points)
- Back to the Outback (9931 points)
- Blood red sky (9757 points)
- Major Grom: Plague Doctor (9,642 points)
- My Little Pony: A New Generation (9,615 points)
- The Forgotten Battle (9321 points)
- The Kissing Booth 3 (9219 points)
- To All the Boys: Always and Forever (9,058 points)
- Thunder Force (8842 points)
- Fast & Furious Gifts: Hobbs & Shaw (8637 points)
- I care a lot (8610 points)
- The woman at the window (8547 points)
- 365 days (8488 points)
- The more they fall (8433 points)
- Beyond the Party (8172 points)
- The Secret Life of Pets 2 (8161 points)
- The Last Mercenary (8132 points)
- A Boy Called Christmas (8045 points)
- Find ‘Ohana (7939 points)
- Night teeth (7824 points)
- Fifty Shades of Gray (7760 points)
- Resort to love (7711 points)
- World News (7600 points)
- Gemini Man (7472 points)
- Things heard and seen (7396 points)
- Awakened (7217 points)
- Venom (6928 points)
- Deadly Illusions (6900 points)
- Below zero (6828 points)
- The White Tiger (6755 points)
- SAS: Red notice (6709 points)
- Fear Street: 1994 (6653 points)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (6465 points)
Top 10 most watched Netflix movies in the first 28 days
How many Netflix movies released in 2021 are in the top 10 hourly watched list? Three.
red notice take first place with the unforgivable and army of the dead also managing to take places 9 and 10 respectively.
1. Red notice – 364,020,000 hours
2. Bird Box – 282,020,000 hours
3. Extraction – 231,340,000 hours
4. The Irishman – 214,570,000 hours
5. The Kissing Booth 2 – 209,250,000 hours
6. 6 Underground – 205,470,000 hours
7. Spenser Confidential – 197,320,000 hours
8. Enola Holmes – 189,900,000 hours
9. The Unforgivable – 186,900,000 hours
10. Army of the Dead – 186,540,000 hours
What were your favorite Netflix movies of 2021? Let us know in the comments.